Monday, February 11, 2008

he suffers in silence---when will someone listen?


this is true story of what children with asperger's syndrome experience and how they feel.....sad but true, and our schools don't give a damn. We need to fight for our children before it's too late.....we need to be their voice...the schools and the general public needs to be educated about these children who are extremely gifted, talented, emotional, sensitive...they are our future...whether we like it or not. Why not call them Indigo???? Instead of autistic???? Just do a search on Indigo kids. Lets educate our educators about these kids, how about PD???? on the subject? It is NEEDED DESPARATELY!!!!! Before too many kids suffer and the damage is irreparable!!!

My son was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome at age 3. He is now almost 10 in 4th grade and an all A/B student with above average intelligence. He is the most loving, kind, forgiving soul I have ever met. I am proud to say he is my son and I love him with all my heart. Yet he continues to suffer, the school perpetuates it, they do not understand him or his asperger's. they do not attempt to understand it. all we get is lip service. it will take a miracle, prayer and tough action to correct their indifference. Let's wait and see.....hmmmmmm.....all and any comments will be appreciated!

********************************************************************************
Shawn's Story:

Today in gym we were doing jump rope. The turners (C my desk mate and R the new kid) started going too fast. Then I started to get angry because I couldn’t jump the rope. I asked them to slow down and for some reason they were just used to turning fast and couldn’t help it.

So, I started to get angry and I was showing it by my facial expressions and Ms. E came over and said “Shawn go to time out and calm down”. She said this in front of everyone. It made me upset, so I started to cry in front of everyone. That is when she sent me to “time out”, which was against the wall.

I felt like I was being punished and I also felt humiliated in front of my classmates.

Anyways, she started calling groups based on incident, like for example “turners going too fast and kids not being able to jump the rope”.

When she called that group, all the people that like to bully me (H, M, J, S and B) turned and looked at me and M also stuck out his tongue at me. The others made faces at me like they were making fun of me. It made me feel very upset.

Then I said in a very loud voice (almost yelling): “STOP IT! I have been publically humiliated for the LAST TIME!!!”

Then Ms. E started calling boys to line up and then the girls.

J tried to cheer me up. Ms. E said to J “no thank you” like she didn’t want J doing that (cheering me up).

Then I saw Ms. E talking to Mrs. C the student teacher.

When I got back to class, Mrs. C talked to me for a minute. She talked to me about what happened in gym. She told me the list of names who looked at me and made faces. From what I can remember, the names on the list were M, H, S, J and B. She told me she was going to talk to the class about it.

When we went into class she talked about it. She did not name me, but they could tell she was talking about the incident in gym. She said “how would feel if you were in time out and everybody looked at you?” And she called everyone who looked at me and a few extra hands went up. And then she said certain parents will be called. And then we took the short science test. And that was the end of it.

This happened at 2:45 (gym) until 3:15. I didn’t talk to Mrs. G about this; there was no time. I talked to my mom about this as soon as I got home off the bus. It was the first thing we talked about.

Also at lunch today, (before the gym incident), I overheard H saying to her friend that one of her favorite pastimes was to find new ways to bully and torture me. It made me feel so upset I wanted to tell the teacher. But I didn’t.

and there's more...

This happened on the way home on the bus today:

Miss A has a Webkinz account online. I asked my friend S from third grade when we were on the bus coming home, “what’s that the little basket with stuff in it?” And she said it’s for Miss A and Webkinz panda bear; it’s like a little bed. Anyway, when I heard Miss A has a Webkinz account I said “you got to be joking”. I wasn’t saying it to be mean, I was just surprised. S said well then I should ask Miss A. Miss A is always truthful. Miss A comes up and I asked her if she really has a Webkinz account and she said “yes”. My jaw almost dropped to the floor. Then I said I wonder what your screen name is if we wanted to become friends on Webkinz World. She said “ my user name is Marksgirlfriend” and said “would you like me to write it down?” She wrote it down for both S and me on a pink piece of paper. And gave it to me. And she said “Ask your parents if it ok to become friends” “I don’t want to get into trouble”.

*********************************************************************************

Can you imagine a nine year old having to endure this almost on a daily basis? I can't. And why is a bus aide giving a 9 year old special education student her Internet screen name to chat with him on a children's website called WEBKINZ? That sends a BIG RED FLAG up to me. Why is in the hell is grown woman chatting on a children's website with a screen name like "marksgirlfriend" in the first place???? Makes me wonder....

See CAUSE online. http://www.causeonline.org/
They advocate for Special Education students like my son.

there will be more....stay tuned. Please check back often, as I will be posting here about the situation on a regular basis after this. I am livid right now. Luckily, my son has many people in his life that DO CARE ABOUT HIM.

No comments: