Thursday, October 19, 2006

WHAT IS ASPERGER'S SYNDROME?


Hello,

Here is an interesting article about Asperger's Syndrome, By Barbara L. Kirby
Founder of the OASIS Web site (www.aspergersyndrome.org)and Co-author of THE OASIS GUIDE TO ASPERGER SYNDROME (Crown, 2001, Revised 2005)

You can cut and paste the url shown here to view the entire article and website:

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html

I was lucky, my beautiful son Shawn (pictured above who is now 8 1/2 years old) was diagnosed at age 3 and an appropriate intervention was made at that time. Up until then, it was sheer hell not knowing what was "wrong" with him or how to deal with it. As a single mother of a child with a neurological disability (he could not talk until he was 3 so he constantly SCREAMED until then, he didn't potty train until he was at least 4, I could not go out in a public place without him "making a scene"), I always "knew" something was wrong, but I guess I stayed "in denial" for the first three years of his life. I felt very lost and alone. I now feel so lucky and fortunate that God led us to the right people who could help Shawn on his journey. He's turned out to be a great kid and I am grateful all of those who have helped and who are now helping him cope with Asperger's. I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Here is a photo of Shawn and his Rescue Dog, BeBe (a real life love story in the making) taken last week at Competitive Dog Sports in Columbiaville. MI. These folks do wonders with animals and I highly recommend them as trainers. Their website is located at: www.compdogsports.com/ Using animals for therapy is also a great way "connect" with children who have disabilities. Animals have that uncanny ability to directly communicate with children who are mentally or physically challenged. I have seen it and experienced it with my own eyes.

Anyway, last Thursday evening was graduation night from Basic Obidience Training. Tonight we start Flyball Training with Bebe. Way to go Shawn and Bebe - I'm so proud of you !!!

No comments: